Call for Entries:
Artists, Photographers, and Writers on Empowering Children
Composing with Images Press (CWiP) seeks images (photographs, drawings, or paintings), poetry, prose, and personal experiences (stories, letters, or journal entries) that explore and/or represent the theme, I have a Voice. All proceeds from the sales of this book will be donated to The Children’s Defense Fund, an organization that aids children living in poverty and protects them from neglect and abuse.
Monday, October 17th, 2011 at 11:59pm Eastern Time
Entries will be selected and the book will be edited by our special guest editors: Kimberly Erskine, Erin O’Malley, Angelena Pellegrino, Eddie Williams, under the guidance of Dr. Bill Wolff, assistant professor of Writing Arts at Rowan University. They are part of the first group of editors in Composing with Images Press’ new Student Books Series.
Composing with Images Press is a small not-for-profit, all volunteer, independent book publisher founded by Bill Wolff and Billie Hara. CWiP publishes photo and art books that bring together image and text to engage creative, social, and cultural issues within a particular theme. 100% of all proceeds are donated to charity. Our first books were immediate best sellers and raised almost $1000 for BP oil spill cleanup efforts. Play!, a book to benefit The Marine Toys for Tots Foundation, will be released in November, 2011.
Multi-Genre Book Theme: I have a Voice
CWiP is seeking entries in a variety of genres that represent and capture the essence of the theme, I have a Voice, and empowers and inspires children to view life in a positive way and to follow their dreams. Topics might include, but are certainly not limited to, individuality, role models, dreams/goals, success, family/friends, play/activities, safety/health, environment/community, and love and perspective. If you are a parent or teacher, ask your child or students to write about or create artwork that responds to to this theme in ways that only a child can present. We encourage entries that express your and children’s imaginations!
This call is open to amateur and professional artists and writers worldwide of any age working in any artistic or written medium. Work by children is of particular interest.
Note: Although our book will benefit children who are fighting against poverty, neglect, and abuse, we will not be accepting submissions dealing with these themes. We want submissions based on positive feelings that will give these children a sense of hope.
- Limit of 3 entries per artist and writer
- We accept the following document formats: .doc, .docx, .pdf, .jpg, and .gif.
- Images (photograph or other) should be 72ppi and 800px at its longest side. [Note: If your image is accepted, we will request a larger image.]
- Prose should be no longer than 15 pages, double spaced. Submit poems in single space.
- You entries must be submitted online at http://j.mp/cwip-stubooks. Submit your photos today!
- You will be asked to include with each entry submitted a 150 – 200 word discussion about the importance of the entry in terms of the book theme: I have a Voice.
- Please name files in this manner: lastname-firstname.jpg. If submitting more than one entry, please name them: lastname-firstname-1.jpg, lastname-firstname-2.jpg, lastname-firstname-3.jpg, etc.
- We are employing a blind review process, therefore all identifying information will be removed from entries before being judged by editors.
- There is an entry fee of $20. This fee is waived the creator of the entry is a K-12 student and/or 18 years or younger. 100% of entry fees will be donated to the Children’s Defense Fund.
- All entry fee donations will be submitted via PayPal. You do not need a PayPal account to submit; credit cards are accepted.
- Submission deadline: Monday, October 17, 2011, 11:59 PM Eastern Time.
If you have any questions, please contact us contact us via our Contact Page.
The first writer or artist to submit 3 entries will receive a complementary copy of Photos for the Gulf: First Anniversary Edition. That gift will benefit the Gulf Restoration Network.
We’re looking forward to your submissions!
A special thanks to the following people and sites for posting, Tweeting, or adding to Facebook this call. Take a moment to check them out:
To be added as the links come in!